Wednesday 2 November 2016

Double - Auditions for Actors - Blog 13 - 02/11/16

Today, we spent time researching monologues for our two contrasting pieces, ready for next month.

We decided to make things easier for the class that one of our monologues must be classical while the other must be contemporary. This almost guarantees the two monologues to be contrasting. We were also told that these can't be the same as the two monologues we're planning on doing for our 

After searching for a while, I had found two monologues which I thought would be very good for my style of acting. Below are the monologues I found, with some general research.

Classical:

Play: The Forced Marriage
Character: Geronimo
Writer: Moliere
Written in: 1664 (Restoration Era)
Text: 
GERONIMO: If we take fifty-two from sixty-four, we get twelve; five years you spent in Holland, seventeen; seven years spent in England, twenty-four; eight years in Rome, thirty-two; and if to thirty-two we add your age when we first became acquainted, we have exactly fifty-two. So that, Mr. Sganarelle, according to your own confession, you are between fifty-two and fifty-three years of age. The calculation is exact enough. Now, I will tell you frankly, as a friend--according to the promise you made me give you--that marriage would suit you but little. Marriage is a thing about which young people ought to think long and seriously before they risk themselves, but of which people of your age ought not to think at all; and if, as some say, the greatest folly a man can commit is to marry, I know nothing more preposterous than to commit such a folly at a time of life when we should be most prudent. In short, to speak to you plainly, I advise you not to marry; and I should think you very ridiculous if, after having remained free up to your time of life, you were now to burden yourself with the heaviest of all chains. [Pause.] What's that? You're in love with her? Ah! That's quite another thing. You didn't tell me that. By all means marry, then; I haven't another word to say.
Context: Geronimo is trying to convince his friend, Sgnarelle, to not go through with his marriage as he thinks that marriage is stupid for someone of their age (they're in their fifties).

Contemporary:

Play: Like Dreaming, Backwards
Character: Yale
Writer: Kellie Powell
Written in: 2008
Text:
Yale: I sold her a ticket that night. I only recognized her because... we played foursquare together once. She introduced herself. I don't really remember anything we said, but she seemed sweet. I didn't know her last name until I saw the article in the paper. It said that she was a sophomore and a journalism major. She was from Joliet. She had a younger sister in high school, named Carolyn. I don't know why I remember everything about that article. Her picture... was in black and white and it was right under the "I-D-E" in "suicide." I don't know why I'm telling you this. The picture was small, it didn't look like a school picture, it looked more like a candid shot. She was sort of smiling, but she looked somehow... suspicious. I have a strangely vivid memory... of her face.That night... she seemed fine. Friendly, and smiling. And I couldn't have done anything different. And I couldn't have known what she was feeling. But then, I didn't ask, did I?I just never knew anyone who died...
Context: Nell commits suicide after suffering from depression. Three characters perform monologues about Nell's suicide and Yale is one of them whom he met at a theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment