Monday 14 November 2016

Triple - Musical Theatre Unit (RENT) - Blog 15 - 14/11/16

Today, Owen and I blocked the movement for I'll Cover You, we went over Today 4 U, and then after the lesson I sang through I'll Cover You (Reprise).

We started I'll Cover You by walking in after Santa Fe, and we perform our short dialogue section. Owen then leads me off to the side singing his first verse. I then lead Owen to the opposite side during my verse. During the chorus, we look towards the audience but then on "you are my love" we face each other holding hands. During the short instrumental, we got to the side of the stage where someone (Tyler/Warren) will be selling coats/jackets/clothing etc. During our next verse, Owen buys the coat and puts it on me. On, "You'll be my king," Owen mimes putting a crown on my head, but on, "You'll be my queen," I place the crown back on his head and hug him from behind. We repeat the same movement for the chorus. During the bridge, Owen and I look at each other across the stage. We end holding each others hands.

We then went on to Today 4 U, where me, Cameron and Henri went through the opening ("Bustelo, Malboro"). Then we helped Owen walk more femininely in heels and putting more energy into his character.

After the lesson, I went through I'll Cover You (Reprise) which I found extremely difficult. Not only do I struggle with finding the right pitch in a song, but I've also never sung a solo before so the nerves leading up to the show kicked in in rehearsals. After singing through the song once, I realised I lacked emotion and was focused too much on trying to hit the correct notes. In order to improve my performance I had to become my character and fully imagine what it feels like to lose someone you really care about.

Next lesson, I'll be going through this song again as well as other songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment