Monday 22 February 2016

Triple - Historical Context - Blog 14 (Elizabethan) - 23/02/16

Today in Triple, we started Lorna's Historical Context era, Shakespearean/Elizabethan. For her scene, Lorna wanted it to be conversational as this links to the Elizabethan theme but she still wanted to keep it appealing to a modern audience. Originally, she wanted to use the theme of a Skype video call which would easily appeal to a modern audience. However, Lorna changed her mind on this as she felt her new idea was much better: having Tom and I act out the duologue from her chosen Shakespearean play (Midsummer Night's Dream) whilst Toby and Dan play a gay couple watching this scene on TV at home. She felt this would offer a great deal of hilarity as Toby and Dan would be voicing their opinions on what was happening in the DVD of Lewis and Tom and pausing and rewinding their actions.

Lorna chose Tom to play the role of Demetrius and me to play the role of Helena as it was agreed that Tom appeared more masculine than me due to him being him older than me, his facial hair and upper body strength. Lorna did not play the role of Helena herself as she took a more directing role in this piece and in Elizabethan times, female roles were played by boys while male roles were played by men.

We started by performing the scene with just Tom and I while Toby and Dan read through their script and decide where they would interject (pause) and what they would say. After a ten minutes practise we joined the two together; this went reasonably well but there were multiple improvements to be made:
  • Tom and I need to be more fluent with our lines
  • Dan and Toby need to keep more in focus instead of rambling for around a minute
  • Tom and I need to keep still when we're supposed to be "paused" and I need to make my reversed speech more realistic
After sorting these issues out, we performed and filmed our piece:


Notes to improve:

  • My movement and voice needs to be more feminine to give away my character's gender
  • I need to slow down my speech as it becomes slurred and you can't understand me.

No comments:

Post a Comment