Friday 16 September 2016

Single - Applying Acting Styles - Blog 5 - 16/09/16

Today we focused on our proxemics in our piece from An Inspector Calls and added some more set.

We initially thought our scene lacked movement but adding movement makes our scene look very awkward as our characters don't seem to have any purpose for movement. To solve this issue, we've added in two bar tables on either side of the scene. When any of us walked towards the tables (me and James as we were men and women typically stay seated) we'd mime pouring drinks.

We also focused on the proxemics of our scene. We worked on how our characters react to what others say and add purpose to our actions; for example while Sheila and Sybil chat about Gerald, I tend to not pay attention and get a drink as my character thinks Gerald is amazing but when Sybil mentions her husband (me), I walk towards her and rest my hand on her shoulder. We also had a lot of trouble with our postures, especially me. I found it very difficult to sit upright at all times as I naturally slouch when seated. I finally got the hang of this throughout the lesson.

Below is our final performance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51wFbtvzXUY):

Notes:

  • I feel like my body language when walking around was great. However, when seated, I still slouched quite a bit.
  • My upper class voice was quite good but could be improved. This is because at times I sounded angry. Despite this, I feel the voice suited Victorian Melodrama very well due to it being so extreme that it was unbelievable which works well for this acting style.
  • I did well to not look at my script when performing my longer paragraphs as this meant I could focus more on my movement. There were some parts I didn't get word perfect but they were along the right lines. Not having to look at your script is important in Melodrama as it allows you to focus on your performance more and remaining over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment