Monday 17 October 2016

Double - Business - Blog 4 - 17/10/16

Today we progressed on through the Business unit and were asked to collate evidence of our work on preparing audition material/applications for our chosen course in the last task. This includes audition monologues/songs/pieces and our personal statement/letter of application. Below is my evidence:




Also find below, my personal statement:

Currently at my Sixth Form, I am studying for an Extended Diploma in Performing Arts which I am loving! One of the modules I find extremely fun is devising; this gives me the ability to creatively draw ideas from a stimulus and demonstrate my ability to create a piece of drama based on the key themes from the stimulus. On one hand, I am also very fond of monologues as they give me the opportunity to showcase my independent abilities as an actor and prove that I can perform on my own just as well as part of a cast. On the other hand, I am passionate about physical theatre as it is a very expressive art form and relies a lot on your partners when performing; physical theatre, in my opinion, is extremely effective at not only establishing bonds between characters, but also each other as actors.I am much looking forward to the musical theatre unit as I have so much experience in it already and have been in productions of Rent, Grease and Les Misérables (twice). One of my favourite acting styles is Naturalism which I really look forward to studying. Anton Chekhov being one of my favourite playwrights cements my love for naturalism. Most importantly, I am excited to perform my final public performances during my third year as I feel it embodies what drama was made for: entertaining people at a public event!I am very passionate about group workshops as they not only develop us as actors and help us hone our skills in a topic or production but also bond us together which produces much better performances.I feel that acting is brilliant course because it offers so many transferrable skills such as excellent social skills and being more confident but also the arts provide a service to the public in the form of entertainment; whether it be in film, TV or the theatre, acting brings a lot of joy and entertainment to the lives of others.I feel that I would be very suitable in the performing arts industry as I’m not only brilliant at learning lines and brainstorming ideas for devising, but I’m an extremely confident individual who always takes on constructive criticism as I’m always wanting to improve. I feel like my strength and excellent teamwork skills would work very well too, especially in physical theatre.Being an avid theatre goer, I am extremely interested in the performing arts and I hope to one day make it more than just my interest: my career. I have been to Broadway and the West End to see many plays and musicals such as The Woman in Black, School of Rock, and The Scottsboro Boys. I am absolutely obsessed with the Broadway sensation Hamilton and hope to one day be part of the cast.During my time in AS Chemistry, I have become so much more aware of safety hazards and dangers and I feel this would be very important in an acting course as a lot of styles of drama can be very dangerous. Also, as I take an Extended Project, I feel that I am very good at meeting the deadlines which are set for me whilst still maintaining a high level of quality in my work.Being an enthusiastic reader of The Stage magazine, I am always in the know on all things theatre. Some of these include the quite recent Tony awards where Hamilton was nominated for a record 16 awards, and musicals such as Les Misérables and Phantom of the Opera who have reached their 31st and 30th anniversaries on the west end respectively.In my extended project, I am preparing a monologue based on my research into depression. I feel that this shows not only that I am passionate about performing outside of my regular performing arts classes, but that I am very dedicated to researching a topic enough to be able to produce a piece of drama about it.Through my part-time job at Dobbies Garden World, I’ve become more efficient at solving problems whilst boosting my ability to take leadership of my colleagues which makes me very productive as part of a team. My passion in theatre and music allows me to be even more friendlier with colleagues over such as creative interest; this has also boosted my confidence considerably. I believe that my interest in reading shows that I am very dedicated to long term objectives. In my opinion, reading is very good at boosting your focus and that it matches rather well to my interest in theatre.I believe, through further studies at university, I can improve myself and hone my skills to one day become a successful leading role actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment